Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn


I've been spending some serious downtime with a recently re-issued classic, Damon and Naomi's "More Sad Hits." This is the first post-Galaxie 500 release by the duo and (this may ruffle a few feathers) I have to state that I think it's better than any of the Galaxie 500 albums. Are you calm yet? Good. Let's move on.

Now, it's not quite fall yet, but after several spins of this under-appreciated album on the ol' deck, I'm more than prepared for the cool nights, brisk days, and falling brown and orange leaves of my second favorite season (summer be number one, natch). Another summer is gone and all we have from it are slowly fading memories. The lyrics and music within "More Sad Hits" bleed a certain melancholy that I tend to feel only during the onset of autumn, and listening to this record only compounds the feeling more so. In particular, the track "Information Age" has struck me as being incredibly poignant today, and I just had to post the lyrics and track so everyone else can steep in my melancholy.

Lyrics to Information Age

You'd think in an information age
It wouldn't be so hard
Just to know what you're feeling
But the moment passes on
And the nights are colder now
That it's daylight savings time
And when I said I love you
I was wrong

Cause you and me
Our eyes will never meet again
We're not the same
Guess we never were
And all the things we knew
Even I love you
Are not the same
They're just nostalgia

Computer crashing
All around us business fails
The times are hard--or so they say
But I don't believe the Times
And I don't believe the Globe
It's spinning free enough to choose
Your way to go

What a great song to help kiss the summer goodbye.

PS. The "all around us business fails" line is particularly striking right now.



Boomp3.com

BUY IT HERE

Anyways, been working on a rather large post this week, so keep in touch.

No comments: