Friday, November 14, 2008

Greatest Song Evar! 4

Figured I would weigh in on the current Pink Floyd fixation of my fellow bloggers. Admittedly, Dark Side of the Moon was the first Pink Floyd record I got into with Piper At the Gates of Dawn following closely behind. Since then I have snagged copies of every album from Piper all the way up the Wall. Favorite Pink Floyd record? A Saucerful of Secrets. Favorite Pink Floyd track? See below:



Jugband Blues was a peek in the direction that Pink Floyd was headed after releasing the quirky psych masterwork that is Piper. I love the three distinct sections, which according to this Wikipedia entry is believed to be culled from several different demos. Seems plausible but I also believe that Barrett's continuously experimental mindset was conducive to creating music outside of the boundaries of your typical rock band, which Pink Floyd would go on to do with most of their catalogue.

Apologies to my regular readers for the lack of posts this week. I've been working on my first full length feature for Discorder (an article on local faves Nu Sensae) and have been strictly focusing on that for the last week. Peep it in the next issue.

No comments: